Re-introducing Health811 (Santé811 in French), formerly Health Connect Ontario.
Have you ever had a health-related concern that needed attention right away – but didn’t feel like it was something you needed to call 911 for? Well, in Ontario there is a line you can call 24/7 specifically for this reason.
As of January 30, 2023, Ontario Health has (re)launched Health811 – a free, secure and confidential service Ontarians can call or access online 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It is a non-urgent phone line where patients/clients can call to receive health advice from qualified health professionals, such as registered nurses, locate local health services and find trusted health information.
As opposed to 911, this line is meant for non-emergencies and is meant for concerns and health related questions. This is not a replacement for regular visits with your healthcare professional.
Features of Health811:
- 24/7 access to live support via telephone or online chat.
- The telephone service is available in over 200 languages, including Indigenous languages such as Cree, Ojibwe and Inuktitut.
- Free access to health professionals, such as registered nurses, registered dieticians, lactation consultants and smoking cessation coaches.
- Provides support for those searching for information about mental health and addictions.
- An online health services directory that enables Ontarians to find health services and health care providers by keyword, location or postal code.
- An artificial intelligence-powered symptom assessment tool that guides users through a series of questions to suggest possible reasons for their symptoms and provides care options, as well as a downloadable symptom report.
- An online medical library that consists of curated content created by experienced doctors and medical safety experts. Ontarians can also call Health811 to receive a fecal immunochemical test (FIT) to screen for colorectal cancer, get assistance finding a family physician or nurse practitioner accepting new patients, connect to the Refugee HealthLine and more.
The North Western Toronto Ontario Health Team is supported by funding from the Government of Ontario.